Chantal M. Roberts, CPCU, AIC, RPA is an expert witness whose career reflects over 20 years of accomplishments in the insurance industry. She began handling commercial auto liability claims at Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and personal auto low-impact claims at MetLife. She worked in a third-party administrator for certain syndicates of Lloyd’s of London, where she continued handling a wide variety of claims such as general liability, special investigations/fraud investigation, homeowner, cargo, and property insurance. Ms. Roberts ultimately became the Director of Claims overseeing approximately 35 adjusters.
As an expert witness, Ms. Roberts is passionate about advancing good faith claims handling and best practices for adjusters. She is a published author. In Insights, a professional magazine from The Institutes, she published “Cannabis: How Can It Be Covered and Adjusted?” (Summer 2018) and "Pet Shop Boys (Vet Liability)" (Winter 2019). Her article “What Do Power Outages, Wildfires, and Vaping Bans Have in Common?” appeared in Claims Journal (October 2019) and Carrier Management (October 2019). She published a marijuana product liability article in CLM magazine entitled "The Stuff of Dreams—or Nightmares? The Product Liability Claims Menace Lurking in the Marijuana Marketplace."
She also co-hosted a webinar through The Institutes on the topic of Self-Insured Retentions.
- Bad Faith
- Homeowner's Insurance
- Insurance Adjuster
- Insurance Customs & Practices
- Insurance Excess & Surplus Lines
- Liability Insurance
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: CPCU, AIC, RPA
For insurance licenses, please see CV.
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: CPCU, CLM (fellow), Defense Research Institute (DRI), National Cannabis Industry Association, American Association of Insurance Management Consultants, Greater Kansas City Claims Association
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: NAIC Western Zone Committee September 22, 2018
• Presented perils associated with cannabis claims to insurance commissioners based on Insights article.
Insurance Business America, Cannabis Cover Masterclass March 19, 2019
• Spoke on panel, discussed claim trends, and highlighted policy pitfalls in the cannabis market.
Moderator: Norman Ives
Panelists: Michael Sampson (Reed Smith); Dean Rocco (Wilson Elser); Chantal M. Roberts
CPCU Webinar on “Claim Issues in SIR’s: Opportunity or Pitfall?” July 16, 2019
• Co-Presented with Kevin Quinley
• Discussion concerning perils when carriers cede claim-handling to policyholders; suggestions for practical strategies for assessing the policyholder’s “fitness” for self-handling claims; and suggestions of ways to minimize friction when a policyholder wants a large SIR.
American Bar Association TIPS Cannabis Seminar September 19, 2019
• Spoke on panel for insurance coverage, discussed claim trends, highlighted policy pitfalls in the cannabis market.
Moderator: Daniel F. Gourash (Seeley, Savidge, Ebert & Goruash Co., LPA)
Panelist: Wes Gilbreath (Continental Heritage Insurance Co.); Chantal M. Roberts
Eastern Carolina University October 28 and October 29, 2019
• Risk Management and Insurance Program Insurance Claims Careers Week
• Featured speaker at insurance symposium encouraging students to consider the Claims Department as a viable career field.
o Claims Handling 101
Entry level lecture concerning the Claims Department’s role in the greater insurance field and what an adjuster does on a daily basis.
o Claims Handling 102
Senior level lecture adjusting a mock Hurricane Dorian loss complete with several coverage issues which needed to be addressed via a Reservation of Rights letter.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: <10
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Consulting, claim handling standard and procedures, good faith claim handling
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 100%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 0%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: <5
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: <5
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Expert Witness-- 1 year
Claims Adjuster-- 20+ years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Insurance claims expert witness
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Please contact me
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: Please contact me
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: 1 eight hour day, flat rate, pre-paid; please contact me.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Please contact me.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: As listed in retention agreement
- How Can Cannabis Claims be Covered and Adjusted?
- How Active Assailant Insurance Can Help Your Business Survive after a Mass Casualty Event (co-authored)
- What Do Power Outages, Wildfires, and Vaping Bans Have in Common?
- The Stuff of Dreams—or Nightmares? The Product Liability Claims Menace Lurking in the Marijuana Marketplace
Available Upon Request