Star Expert Witness provides medical case review for malpractice cases involving OB/GYN, Women's Health , Certified Nurse Midwifery, Family Nurse Practitioner consultation, Fetal monitoring and OB care including Antepartum, Intrapartum and Post-Partum care. Fetal monitoring including birth asphyxia,cases involving shoulder dystocia, fetal decelerations associated with birth injury. Ultrasound interpretation/consultation &genetic counseling for new OB patients.
Urgent care cases and nursing related cases taken on case by case basis.
Areas of Expertise
- Brain Injury
- Family Practice/Family Medicine
- Medical Malpractice
- Obstetrics & Gynecology (OB/GYN)
- Perinatology/Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Physician Assistants
- Preventive Medicine
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Masters Degree in Nursing from Old Dominion University with a FNP certification
Post-Masters Degree from Georgetown University in Midwifery
ACLS,PALS,NRP,CPR,Advanced Fetal Monitoring Certified
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American College of Nurse Midwives, American Association of Nurse Practitioners, NC Affiliate of ACNM,
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Preceptor for Advanced Graduate Degree students every semester from Duke, UNC or ECU
Speaking engagements are many from college lectures involving Birth Control to OB delivery to Contract Negotiation skills in your job as a CNM.
ACLS, Trauma Nurse Instructor for many years. Taught residents at UNC for 4 years.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No investigations or suspensions or removals
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 20 cases in lifetime and growing
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: OB, GYN, Breast Cancer, ER cases as an RN Director of ER in 1990's. Fetal birth injury and birth asphyxia, choriocarcinoma diagnosis, IUD (trial testimony), pp depression, torn tendon in digit in Urgent Care. Genetic testing consultation.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 50% of plaintiff expert
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 50% of defendant expert
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 6 times to date
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 1 month ago
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: On all cases. I have never been turned down for court testimony. I have been to trial 4 times and given testimony for 2 trials. I have another upcoming testimony in 2 weeks.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 2 times on the stand as an expert in court. Most of the cases I have had, have settled prior to court due to OB outcomes.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 1990. I did ER cases in the 90's and stopped from 1996 till 2011. I agreed to be an expert in 2012 and things have progressed since that time.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: All services depending on the case.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Free for consultation until I begin the case. Then I charge an overall $150 hour for casework, review of records, summation reports, affadavits, etc. I charge $200 an hour for depos and $250 hour on the stand testimony.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $150 hour and I work efficiently
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $200 an hour with a minimum of 4 hours and a cancellation fee of $250.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $250 an hour.
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel to be covered by lawfirm including hotel, air,etc.
I charge $1000 a day to travel and return in a 24 hour period.
References upon request.