Burl Daniel, CPCU, CIC, CRM: Property-Casualty Insurance Expert Witness retained by attorneys representing carriers, policyholders, agents/brokers and/or third parties. Professional designations: CPCU - Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter, CIC - Certified Insurance Counselor, CRM - Certified Risk Manager; University of Texas - BBA Insurance. Adjunct Professor of Insurance with two Texas universities. Entered the insurance industry in 1973; insurance agency principal for 24 years. Recognized by law firms for responsiveness to attorney inquiries, breadth of insurance knowledge and attention to detail. Credibility based on methodical analysis, concise expert reports and precise answers at deposition and trial.
• Insurance Agent Errors & Omissions
• Insurance Bad Faith
• Claims Handling Custom & Practice
• Commercial Auto Insurance
• Commercial General Liability
• Product Liability Insurance
• Pollution / Environmental Liability
• Commercial Umbrella
• Claims Made policies
• Professional Liability Insurance
• Directors and Officers Liability
• Employment Practices Liability
• Workers Compensation
• Property Insurance Expert
• Business Interruption / /Business Income / Extra Expense
• Boiler & Machinery / Equipment Breakdown
• Flood Insurance
• Ocean Marine Insurance
• Inland Marine Insurance
• Aviation Insurance
• Crime Insurance / Fidelity Bonds / Surety
• Personal Auto
• Homeowners / Farm & Ranch Insurance
• Watercraft / Boats
• Personal Umbrella
• Surplus Lines Insurance
Areas of Expertise
- Auto Insurance
- Aviation Insurance
- Bad Faith
- Fire Insurance
- Fraud Investigation
- Homeowner's Insurance
- Insurance Agency
- Insurance Agent/Broker
- Insurance Excess & Surplus Lines
- Insurance Fraud
- Liability Insurance
- Marine Insurance
- Property & Casualty Insurance
- Risk Management
- White Collar Crime
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: CPCU - Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter
CIC - Certified Insurance Counselor
CRM - Certified Risk Manager
BBA Insurance - University of Texas Austin
Licenses - Property and Casualty; Risk Manger
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Society of Certified Insurance Counselors
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: 2006-07 Adjunct Professor of Insurance - University of North Texas
1984 Tarrant County College - Insurance Lecturer, INS 21
1981-83 Adjunct Professor of Insurance - University of Texas at Arlington
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Approximately 180
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Insurance Agent Errors & Omissions
Insurance Bad Faith
Claims Handling Custom & Practice
Property Insurance Expert
Business Interruption - Business Income - Extra Expense
Flood Insurance Expert
Boiler and Machinery / Equipment Breakdown Insurance
Ocean Marine Insurance
Inland Marine Insurance
Commercial Auto Liability
Commercial General Liability
Products & Completed Operations Liability
Pollution / Environmental Liability
Commercial Umbrella Liability
Claims Made Insurance
OCIP - Owner Controlled Insurance Programs
Directors & Officers Liability
Employment Practices Liability
Personal Umbrella Liability
Surplus Lines Insurance
Property & Casualty Underwriting
Crime Insurance / Fidelity Bonds
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: ~ 2/3
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: ~ 1/3
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 30+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: March 2018
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 6
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 6
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: August 2004 to present
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Property & Casualty Insurance Expert Witness engaged by attorneys representing carriers, policyholders and/or third parties. Insurance expert reports, Deposition and Trial testimony, Claims negotiation, Insurance portfolio review for policyholders.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $525
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $525
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $525
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $525
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Support staff billed at $100/hour; expenses billed at cost.
Charles Mitchell - Naman, Howell, Smith & Lee: (817) 509-2040
Lorie Masters - Perkins Coie LLP: (202) 654-6289
Charlie Fairchild - Fairchild & Fairchild: (816) 363-3800
Blake Bailey, Phelps Dunbar LLP: (817) 488-3134