Bill Waites, Problem Solver, IT Forensics Expert Witness and Management Consultant, has many years of industry experience. The past 14+ years I have practiced as a unique Commercial Transactions, Software, Contract Breach, Insurance Defense, and Patent cross-industry IT expert and consultant focusing on Technology and Commercial Transactions.
My experience as a Forensic Expert Witness & Consultant includes - Patents, Infringement, Prior Art, Trade Secrets, Complex Large Scale Software Systems, Information Technology, FBI Business Email Compromise, Commercial Litigation, Software Engineering and Development Life Cycle, Project Management, Breach of Contract, Configuration Management Systems, Computers, Business Methods and Processes, Business Analysis, Business Transactions, Aerospace Engineering, Insurance Fraud, Email Fraud, E-Discovery, Software, IT Applications, Contract Deliverables and Breach, CAD/CAM, Sensor Based Automated Systems, Internet, Outsourcing, Industry Business Applications, Radio Frequency Identification – RFID chips.
I utilize cognitive skills to analyze and dissect case evidence, identify the meaningful forensics evidence, and communicate conclusions. Reports and testimony are prepared for lay people, technical people, and executives. I am located in Texas and have no geographical boundaries.
A great benefit of having a development and business method solutions background helps me in both commercial and patent litigation and consulting.
Below is my detailed experience and qualifications. In brief, my career has ranged from programmer/systems analyst and marketing to CEO. I have worked with start-ups to Fortune 500 (including Fortune 10) companies and authored for the SEC and Vancouver Stock Exchanges business plans and product analysis of companies applying to go public.
My industry career centered on IT driven business methods, workflow, technological devices, and execution of business operations. If the case has a computer chip I probably have some understanding of the technology and use. My 33+ cases needed an understanding of business-oriented solutions and technology. If it is patent case and the patent has a computer component, the patent most likely will have the characteristics of an IT driven business solution. Software cases frequently are based on Software Development Life Cycle and project management failure.
The expert needs project management experience in business analysis and development tasks. This knowledge may go beyond technology skills. The expert witness needs knowledge of tasks used to develop a product and business analysis used to define deliverables. In product development the business analysis does the "what", the developer does the “how”.
Among my attorney clients are Locke, Lord; Kane, Russell; James Arnold; Cooley, Godward; Latham, Watkins; Kelly, Hart; Naman Howell; Smith, Vitullo; Strasburger and Price. My cases include testimony and consulting for cases in the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of TX, CA, and NY.
Before practicing as a forensic expert witness I was with IBM for 17 years as a software product developer, project manager, and in marketing; positions with leading software companies; executive experience with entrepreneurial companies; authoring entrepreneurial product evaluations for various stock exchanges; and cross industry assignments in such industries as manufacturing, aerospace, healthcare, software, public sector, financial, energy, distribution, retail, healthcare, CAD/CAM, automation, and logistics.
My employers and clients include Oracle, Computer Associates, Cullinet Software Systems, General Dynamics, Boeing, BT Systems, Computer Sciences Corp, Verizon, DOD, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Chubb Insurance, EDS, and EMSI Health.
Experience as both a customer and a vendor gives me unique insights in understanding and analyzing evidence for testimony and reports.
Gather information and data from client personnel and from documentation.
Analyze information and data for forensics evidence to be presented in testimony and reports.
Use the available evidence to determine the real essence of the case.
Compare contract defined deliverables with what was delivered.
Compare promised dates with actual dates of the deliverables if contract deliverables are included in the case.
Construct “Infringement” and “Prior Art” matrices (charts) with analysis for patent cases and define business method.
Construct “Complaint” and analysis matrices for other case types.
Prepare Testimony around the essence of the case.
Construct and Present Report focusing on the forensics of the essence of the case.
Multiple Locations - Fort Worth, Texas - No Geographic Limits
Mobile 817-907-7621 Office 817-738-3729
EDUCATION: MBA (MMS designated), Texas Christian University
BS General Engineering with Math Major, Lamar University
Post Graduate studies in Applied Mathematics, University of Washington
Pre-engineering studies Texas A&M University
Adjunct Faculty, University of Texas at Arlington, Business College - Capstone course Policy and Business Strategy and Plans, Human Resource Management, Labor Relations, and Principles of Management
Areas of Expertise
- Business Valuation
- Computer Security
- Corporate Governance
- Data Communications
- Document Examination
- Electronic Discovery
- Forensic Engineering
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Logistics/Freight Forwarding
- Software Engineering
- Supply Chain
- Warehouse Operations
- Wireless Technology
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Education:
General Engineering with BS in Applied Mathematics, Lamar University
Post graduate work in Applied Mathematics, University of Washington
MBA (designated as MS Management Science), M.J. Neely College of Business, Texas Christian University
Post graduate work in Economics Statistics
CLE credits in:
Electronic Discovery Roundtable
E-Recovery Tool: Improved Processes for Online Review and Production
Electronic Production and Government Agencies
Legal Arguments and Strategies: Requesting and Producing Electronic Evidence
Certificate in Work Process Mapping – University of Texas at Austin
Certificate in Legal Aspects of Contracts – University of Texas at Arlington
Certificate in Marketing - University of Texas at Arlington
Certificate in Use Case Analysis and Requirements Definition –University of Texas at Austin
CLE/PDU Park University:
Certificate Fundamentals of Project Management
Certificate Project Management Workshop
Certificate Project Management Advanced
Certificate Managing Multiple Priorities, Projects, and Deadlines
Certificate Developing Emotional Intelligence
Certificate Professional Communication: What Message Are You Sending
Certificate Leadership, Team-Building and Coaching Skills for Managers and Supervisors
Certificate How to Read, Interpret, and Troubleshoot Contracts
Certificate Dealing with Difficult People
Certificate Finance and Accounting for Non-Financial People
Certificate How Managers Become Great Leaders
Certificate Microsoft Excel Basics
Certificate Microsoft Excel Beyond the Basics
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Value Added Resellers National Association
Tarrant County College Small Business Advisory Board-Fort Worth, TX
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Adjunct Faculty University of Texas at Arlington,
Policy and Strategy BBA capstone course, Human Resources Management, Labor Relations, Basic Management Principles
Adjunct Faculty Tarrant County College - Ft Worth, TX, Small Business Management
Greater than 300 seminars, presentations, and conferences on Business and Information Technology
Taught multiple courses and seminars in IT and Business Integration with Technology
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 33+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Intellectual Property, Patents, Project Management, FBI Business Email Compromise Software Development Life Cycle, Software Development Costing, Logistics, Software Applications Analysis, Business Methods and Processes, Healthcare Software, Electronic Safes, Automation, Economic Analysis and Evaluation, Computer Functions, Commercial Transactions, Contract Analysis and Deliverables Interpretation, Outsourcing, E-Discovery, E-Recovery, Data Recovery, File Recovery, Email Recovery, Forensics, Telecommunications, Internet Speed and Path Trace Analysis, Data Theft, Backup, Product Development Life Cycle, Software Development Life Cycle, Computer Aided Manufacturing, Computer Aided Design, Internet Theft of Proprietary Information, Email Fraud, Insurance Computer Fraud
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 40
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 60
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 8
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2015
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 20+
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 1
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 15
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: ó Deposition and testimony, research and investigation
óConsulting, reports, site inspections, damage assessment, insurance valuations project management, business process analysis and management, business plan analysis and development, business operations analysis and improvement
ó Interpretation of contract scope of effort and contract deliverables
ó Patent analysis and interpretation
ó Complex technical and business issues
ó Translate technical terminology into common everyday language
ó Cross industry knowledge - manufacturing, , telecommunications, legal, process, logistics, distribution, aerospace, defense, financial, retail, healthcare
ó Computer and information technology, factory and process automation, physical processes
ó Program and project management, software development and implementation
ó Software applications analysis
ó Equipment and product valuation
ó Communicate with executives, technologists, users, legal, financial, and lay people
ó Business and technology strategies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Varies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: Varies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: Varies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Varies
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel and incidental expenses
Furnished on request.