Bill Waites, Forensic Expert Witness & Consultant
is an independent management consultant with 40+ years of experience providing business and forensics expert witness solutions, testimony and reports. My expert witness cases include Patents, Business Methods and Processes, Email, E-Discovery, Software Product Development Life Cycle, Project Management, Information Technology, Outsourcing, , Software Applications, Contract Deliverables and Breach, Commercial Litigation, Data Warehouses, Computers, CAD/CAM, Sensor Based Automated Systems, Internet, Industry Business Applications, Insurance Computer Fraud Claims, Radio Frequency Identification – RFID chips.
I utilize cognitive skills to analyze and dissect case evidence, identify the meaningful forensics evidence, and communicate conclusions. Reports and testimony are prepared for lay people, technical people, and executives. I am located in Texas and have no geographical boundaries.
My legal consulting expertise draws on years of software product development and hardware development, software development life cycle, contract deliverables and analysis, project management, marketing and sales, business operations, outsourcing, company start-ups, business process management, and executive experience. My consulting and employment engagements include business methods design, business process reengineering, software development, and business engineering and analyses.
Included in my 14+ years as a unique forensics expert witness are patent infringement and invalidity, defending against patent trolls, software product development and enhancements, business methods, insurance coverage, business processes design, commercial litigation, computers, contract deliverables analysis and breach, software licenses, project management, workflow, e-discovery, e-recovery, Internet, emails, telecommunications, complex technology, and other disciplines among my 30+ cases.
Many software cases center on Software Development Life Cycle and project management failure. I have seen many instances where neither plaintiff nor defendant recognizes the key elements of the dispute.
Among my attorney clients are Locke, Lord; Kane, Russell; James Arnold; Cooley, Godward; Latham, Watkins; Kelly, Hart; Naman Howell; Smith, Vitullo; Strasburger and Price. My cases include testimony and consulting for cases in the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of TX, CA, and NY.
Before practicing as a forensic expert witness I was with IBM for17 years as a software product developer, project manager, and in marketing; positions with leading IT and software companies; executive experience with entrepreneurial companies; authoring entrepreneurial product evaluations for various stock exchanges; and cross industry assignments in such industries as manufacturing, aerospace, healthcare, software, public sector, financial, energy, distribution, retail, healthcare, CAD/CAM, automation, and logistics.
My employers and clients include Oracle, Computer Associates, Cullinet Software Systems, General Dynamics, Boeing, BT Systems, Computer Sciences, Verizon, DOD, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Federal Insurance, EDS, and Texas State Optical.
Experience as both a customer and a vendor gives me unique insights in understanding and analyzing evidence for testimony and reports. The web pages in this site show some work experience knowledge that I utilize for case analysis in my expert witness practice.
Gather information and data from client personnel and from documentation.
Analyze information and data for forensics evidence to be presented in testimony and reports.
Use the available evidence to determine the real essence of the case.
Compare contract defined deliverables with what was delivered.
Compare promised dates with actual dates.
Construct “Infringement” and “Prior Art” matrices (charts) with analysis for patent cases and define business method.
Construct “Complaint” and analysis matrices for other cases.
Prepare Testimony around the essence of the case.
Construct and Present Report focusing on the forensics of the essence of the case.
I am also an independent oil lease owner and operator. That keeps me grounded in the commercial world.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Valuation
- Computer Security
- Corporate Governance
- Data Communications
- Document Examination
- Electronic Discovery
- Forensic Engineering
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Logistics/Freight Forwarding
- Software Engineering
- Supply Chain
- Warehouse Operations
- Wireless Technology
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Education:
General Engineering with BS in Applied Mathematics, Lamar University
Post graduate work in Applied Mathematics, University of Washington
MBA (designated as MS Management Science), M.J. Neely College of Business, Texas Christian University
Post graduate work in Economics Statistics
CLE credits in:
Electronic Discovery Roundtable
E-Recovery Tool: Improved Processes for Online Review and Production
Electronic Production and Government Agencies
Legal Arguments and Strategies: Requesting and Producing Electronic Evidence
Certificate in Work Process Mapping – University of Texas at Austin
Certificate in Legal Aspects of Contracts – University of Texas at Arlington
Certificate in Marketing - University of Texas at Arlington
Certificate in Use Case Analysis and Requirements Definition –University of Texas at Austin
CLE/PDU Park University:
Certificate Fundamentals of Project Management
Certificate Project Management Workshop
Certificate Project Management Advanced
Certificate Managing Multiple Priorities, Projects, and Deadlines
Certificate Developing Emotional Intelligence
Certificate Professional Communication: What Message Are You Sending
Certificate Leadership, Team-Building and Coaching Skills for Managers and Supervisors
Certificate How to Read, Interpret, and Troubleshoot Contracts
Certificate Dealing with Difficult People
Certificate Finance and Accounting for Non-Financial People
Microsoft Excel Basics
Microsoft Excel Beyond the Basics
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Value Added Resellers National Association
Tarrant County College Small Business Advisory Board-Fort Worth, TX
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Adjunct Faculty University of Texas at Arlington,
Policy and Strategy BBA capstone course, Human Resources Management, Labor Relations, Basic Management Principles
Adjunct Faculty Tarrant County College - Ft Worth, TX, Small Business Management
Greater than 300 seminars, presentations, and conferences on Business and Information Technology
Taught multiple courses and seminars in IT and Business Integration with Technology
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 30+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Intellectual Property, Patents, Logistics, Software Applications Analysis, Business Methods and Processes, Healthcare Software, Electronic Safes, Automation, Economic Analysis and Evaluation, Damage Assessment, Computer Functions, Commercial Transactions, Contract Analysis and Deliverables Interpretation, Outsourcing, E-Discovery, E-Recovery, Data Recovery, File Recovery, Email Recovery, Forensics, Telecommunications, Internet Speed and Path Trace Analysis, Data Theft, Backup, Product Development Life Cycle, Software Development Life Cycle, Computer Aided Manufacturing, Computer Aided Design, Project Management, Internet Theft of Proprietary Information, Insurance Computer Fraud
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 20
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 80
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 15+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2015
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 20+
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 1
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 14
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: ó Deposition and testimony, research and investigation
óConsulting, reports, site inspections, damage assessment, insurance valuations project management, business process analysis and management, business plan analysis and development, business operations analysis and improvement
ó Interpretation of contract scope of effort and contract deliverables
ó Patent analysis and interpretation
ó Complex technical and business issues
ó Translate technical terminology into common everyday language
ó Cross industry knowledge - manufacturing, , telecommunications, legal, process, logistics, distribution, aerospace, defense, financial, retail, healthcare
ó Computer and information technology, factory and process automation, physical processes
ó Program and project management, software development and implementation
ó Software applications analysis
ó Equipment and product valuation
ó Communicate with executives, technologists, users, legal, financial, and lay people
ó Business and technology strategies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Varies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: Varies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: Varies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Varies
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel and incidental expenses
Furnished on request.