Bill Waites, IT Forensic Expert Witness & Consultant
Patents, Software Development, Project Management, Information Technology, Business Processes and Methods, Contract Deliverables and Breach, Complex Commercial Litigation, Computers, CAD/CAM, Sensor Based Automated Systems, Internet, Email, Software, Applications, E-Discovery, E-Recovery, Industry Business Applications, Outsourcing, Radio Frequency Identification – RFID chips, Email Fraud
Bill Waites is an Information Technology expert witness and consultant with over 40 years of experience working in the software engineering and IT driven business solutions.
When an attorney calls me I evaluate the case and decide if I am capable of performing as an expert for the case. This brief CV is an introduction to my knowledge and experience. This brief description is an introduction to my knowledge and experience.
Prior to beginning my expert witness practice I was an IT services provider and an IT customer so I have been on both sides and understand both in-house products, vendor products, and outsourcer services. Many of my cases have been disputes between IT service providers and customer IT users. Having been both an IT provider and a customer IT user gives me some unique insights into my commercial litigation and patent cases.
My 40+ years of cross industry experience includes hardware and software product development, radio frequency and RFID projects, project management, field operations, product marketing, operations, management, and executive has given me various types of knowledge. This rounded knowledge would have been unavailable to me had my career been restricted to being a computer specialist only. A great benefit of having both a development and business solutions background helps me in both commercial and patent litigation.
The past 14 years I have practiced in 30+ cases as an expert witness. These cases include business processes, information technology, patent infringement and invalidity, patent trolls, software development, industry business applications, computers, contract deliverables and breach, commercial transactions, e-discovery, CAD/CAM automated chip manufacturing, sensor based systems, internet, project management, and outsourcing.
Before my practice as an expert, I either consulted with or was employed by IBM, Oracle, Cullinet Software, Computer Sciences Corporation Outsourcing and Consulting, Computer Associates, General Dynamics, DOD, Verizon, and Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Engagements have included industry applications and IT driven business methods, and an author of entrepreneurial companies' product and market evaluations for various stock exchanges. I have designed systems for RFID devices and RFID on cards.
I also have experience in the development and the reengineering of business processes and methods and in the application of IT to business. Many business processes are driven by IT.
Many software cases center on the Software Development Life Cycle and project management failure. I have seen many instances where neither plaintiff nor defendant recognizes the key elements of the dispute.
My attorney clients include Locke, Lord; Kane, Russell; James Arnold; Cooley, Godward; Latham Watkins; and Kelly, Hart.
I have been an expert witness in the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Eastern Districts of TX, CA, and NY.
Being an independent oil producer and lease operator I keep in touch with the commercial business world. As a member of the adjunct faculty I taught the Business capstone course "Policy and Strategy" at the University of Texas at Arlington.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Valuation
- Computer Security
- Corporate Governance
- Data Communications
- Document Examination
- Electronic Discovery
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Law & Legal
- Logistics/Freight Forwarding
- Oil & Gas
- Software Engineering
- Supply Chain
- Warehouse Operations
- Wireless Technology
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Education:
General Engineering with BS in Applied Mathematics, Lamar University
Post graduate work in Applied Mathematics, University of Washington
MBA (designated as MS Management Science), M.J. Neely College of Business, Texas Christian University
Post graduate work in Economics Statistics
CLE credits in:
Electronic Discovery Roundtable
E-Recovery Tool: Improved Processes for Online Review and Production
Electronic Production and Government Agencies
Legal Arguments and Strategies: Requesting and Producing Electronic Evidence
Certificate in Work Process Mapping – University of Texas at Austin
Certificate in Legal Aspects of Contracts – University of Texas at Arlington
Certificate in Marketing - University of Texas at Arlington
Certificate in Use Case Analysis and Requirements Definition –University of Texas at Austin
CLE/PDU Park University:
Certificate Fundamentals of Project Management
Certificate Project Management Workshop
Certificate Project Management Advanced
Certificate Managing Multiple Priorities, Projects, and Deadlines
Certificate Developing Emotional Intelligence
Certificate Professional Communication: What Message Are You Sending
Certificate Leadership, Team-Building and Coaching Skills for Managers and Supervisors
Certificate How to Read, Interpret, and Troubleshoot Contracts
Certificate Dealing with Difficult People
Certificate Finance and Accounting for Non-Financial People
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Value Added Resellers National Association
Tarrant County College Small Business Advisory Board-Fort Worth, TX
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Adjunct Faculty University of Texas at Arlington,
Policy and Strategy BBA capstone course, Human Resources Management, Labor Relations, Basic Management Principles
Adjunct Faculty Tarrant County College - Ft Worth, TX, Small Business Management
Greater than 300 seminars, presentations, and conferences on Business and Information Technology
Taught multiple courses and seminars in IT and Business Integration with Technology
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 30+
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Intellectual Property, Patents, Logistics, Software Applications Analysis, Business Methods and Processes, Healthcare Software, Electronic Safes, Automation, Economic Analysis and Evaluation, Damage Assessment, Computer Functions, Commercial Transactions, Contract Analysis and Deliverables Interpretation, Outsourcing, E-Discovery, E-Recovery, Data Recovery, File Recovery, Email Recovery, Forensics, Telecommunications, Internet Speed and Path Trace Analysis, Data Theft, Backup, Product Development Life Cycle, Software Development, Computer Aided Manufacturing, Computer Aided Design, Project Management, Internet Theft of Proprietary Information
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 40
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 60
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 15+
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2015
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 20+
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 1
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 14
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: ó Deposition and testimony, research and investigation
óConsulting, reports, site inspections, damage assessment, insurance valuations project management, business process analysis and management, business plan analysis and development, business operations analysis and improvement
ó Interpretation of contract scope of effort and contract deliverables
ó Patent analysis and interpretation
ó Complex technical and business issues
ó Translate technical terminology into common everyday language
ó Cross industry knowledge - manufacturing, , telecommunications, legal, process, logistics, distribution, aerospace, defense, financial, retail, healthcare
ó Computer and information technology, factory and process automation, physical processes
ó Program and project management, software development and implementation
ó Software applications analysis
ó Equipment and product valuation
ó Communicate with executives, technologists, users, legal, financial, and lay people
ó Business and technology strategies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Varies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: Varies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: Varies
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: Varies
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel and incidental expenses
Furnished on request.