I am an experienced consultant and expert witness (both testifying and non-testifying) specializing in products liability and personal injury cases including wrongful death involving a wide variety of Consumer and Industrial products. I possess a Mechanical Engineering degree, an earned doctorate, and expertise in many areas ranging from aircraft to watercraft, including firearms and motorcycles. My services are retained by both plaintiffs and defendants.
• Able to work effectively with counsel anywhere in the litigation cycle including helping you choose winnable cases and avoid losers, assisting in crafting a technically accurate complaint, and supporting a case at any point including being brought in late as a rebuttal witness
• Experienced forensic investigator using the Scientific Method of Investigation
• A long demonstrated history of finding what others have missed
• Adept at formulating targeted discovery interrogatories, rather than fishing expeditions, and questions for opposing experts
• Adept at finding discrepancies and inaccuracies in documents including claims, depositions and testimony of others
• Excellent report writer who accurately and concisely presents findings in an understandable manner, including whether alternative theories are supported by the evidence. In most cases, my Initial Expert Report has been sufficient to result in case settlement.
• Unflappable! Respectful, but not intimidated by opposing counsel
I have over 30 years of experience in gas turbine engine design, development, certification, manufacture, installation, system integration, maintenance, testing, troubleshooting, forensic investigation, and customer support. I am recognized as the world's leading expert on a family of Auxiliary Power Units (APUs) used in both Commercial and Military airborne and ground applications. I have been retained as a testifying expert in lawsuits involving the source of aircraft cabin air contamination. In 1997, I was honored as a Contributor to Aviation History by the Director of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in a ceremony at the museum in Washington, DC.
Areas of Expertise
- Accident Investigation
- Consumer Products
- Failure Analysis
- Firearms & Ballistics
- Gas Turbine Engineering
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering (BSME);
Master of Business Administration (MBA);
Doctor of Business Administration (DBA);
Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator (NAFI CFEI);
Federally Licensed Gunsmith (Current Federal Firearms License allows receiving and shipping firearms for analysis)
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: American Gunsmithing Association;
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME);
National Association of Fire Investigators (NAFI);
SAE International (Society of Automotive Engineers)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I authored and presented a State Bar of Arizona Continuing Legal Education (CLE) video on “How to Avoid Losing Cases and Get Winners.”
I have extensive teaching and speaking experience in the areas of Aircraft and Ground Gas Turbine Engines, Human Potential, Gender Communication, Team Building and Communication, Continuous Improvement, Customer Communication, Change Management and Conflict Management.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Consumer and Industrial Products Liability and Personal Injury; Vehicle and Firearms Personal Injury and Death; Gas Turbine Engines; Fire Investigation.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 85%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 15%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: In most cases, my Initial Expert Report was all that was required to result in a settlement.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: Most cases settled without trial.
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: Most cases settled without trial.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Seventeen
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Attorney Consulting: Helping You Choose, Craft and Conduct Winnable Cases and Avoid the Losers; Consultant and Expert Witness (both testifying and non-testifying) in Product Liability Personal Injury Investigations including Wrongful Death;
Forensic Examinations, Reports, and Training