Dr. Alsina has 24 years of experience in general and liver surgery, transplantation, liver cancer and long career in hepatology. Harvard trained. Published, researcher, teacher and expert-witness in liver diseases, cancer, bile duct injuries, drug-induced liver injuries, liver-related life expectancy, disability for transplant surgeons, and Correctional Medicine of liver disorders and Hepatitis C.
His real world experience includes:
• Over two decades of hepato-biliary (liver) surgery and liver transplantation experience at a tertiary care, 1,010 bed teaching hospital.
• Broad skills in general surgery, liver surgery, transplantation, hepatology , and hepato-oncology (liver cancer). Robotic surgery certified.
• Directed liver transplantation and liver cancer programs for total of 20 years
• Experienced in Hepatitis C. Principal investigator in drug research trials. Medico-legal experience in Correctional Medicine of Hepatitis C inmates.
• Managed immunosuppression treatments in over 1,000 liver transplant recipients. Principal investigator in pivotal trials in liver transplantation.
• Proven track record: Achieved the 96th percentile in long term outcomes of liver transplantation nationally, among 130 programs.
• Leader of a multi-disciplinary liver cancer team. Conducted oncologic treatments at specialized clinics for liver cancer and ran latest clinical trials. Evaluated over 5,000 new patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.
• Principal investigator and researcher in pivotal trials of liver transplantation, acute liver failure, fatty liver, hepatitis C, and liver cancer. 27 Clinical Trials as principal investigator.
- Correctional Healthcare
- General Surgery
- Hepatology (Liver)
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Medical Malpractice
- Transplant Surgery
- Wrongful Death
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
• American Board of Surgery Certified. Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
• Fellow designation by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD).
• Collaborative Professor at the University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine.
. Abdominal Transplant Surgery and HepatoBiliary Surgery Fellowship, Harvard/New England Deaconess Hospital
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: See CV
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: I have national teaching experience in liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma), hepatitis B and hepatitis C, among many other topics.
I have published in topics of acute liver failure, liver cancer, liver transplantation, cirrhosis and portal hypertension, ethnic and ethical aspects of transplantation, and liver oncology, and renal cell carcinoma.
Expert CME teacher with simply Speaking Hepatitis C panel, nationally, advisor, research mentor, and has speaking experience nationally and internationally.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: None
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Over 20 since 2018.
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Hepatology aspects (liver diseases), general surgery (complications), transplantation, liver oncology, bile duct injuries, Correctional Medicine of hepatitis C inmates, drug induced liver injuries, life expectancy in liver diseases, and disability for transplant surgeons.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 40%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 60%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: Four in 24 months
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: September 2020.
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: Since 2018.
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, expert witness.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: Attorney can call me for any questions or advice on a new matter at no charge.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $750.00 includes everything, other than deposition or trial.
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $ 1,000.00 / hr
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $5,000.00 for the day
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: To be reimbursed at cost.
Available Upon Request