Alan is a Professional Engineer (PE), Certified in Clinical Engineering (CCE), a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) a Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS), and a Fellow in the American College of Clinical Engineering. He was the Director of Clinical Engineering for 37 years at two different hospital systems. Alan was the co-chair of the AAMI Standards Board from 1993 to 2015. He was also the chair of the NFPA-99 Medical Equipment Technical Committee from 2007-2015 and is currently a member of this Committee.
Areas of Expertise
- Medical Devices
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: Licenses and Certification:
Professional Engineer (PE) – State of Delaware, License # 7875
Certified in Clinical Engineering (CCE) – Healthcare Technology Foundation, Certificate # 66
Certified Safety Professional (CSP) – Board of Certified Safety Professionals, Certificate # 9174
Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS)- National Patient Safety Foundation
Fellow, American College of Clinical Engineering
Master of Science (M.S.) Washington University 1973
Electrical Engineering St. Louis, MO
Certificate in Health Care Technology Washington University 1973
Biomedical Engineering St. Louis, MO
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) University of Maryland 1971
Electrical Engineering College Park, MD
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI)
American College of Clinical Engineering (ACCE)
American Society of Professionals in Patient Safety (ASPPS)
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: Modification and Customization Of Medical Equipment,
Biomedical Instrumentation & Technology: Sept./Oct. 2012, Vol. 46, No. 5, pp. 370-373.
Wireless Spectrum -- Strategic Plan to Avoid Conflicts @ Christiana Care – 2012 AAMI Annual Meeting – Charlotte, NC.
Addressing Alarm Management Issues – Identifying the Challenge – 2011 AAMI Annual Meeting – San Antonio, TX.
Isolated Power – Updates and a Discussion of Regulations – 2009 AAMI Annual Meeting – Baltimore, MD.
NFPA 99: A Review of the Upcoming Revision – 2008 AAMI Annual Meeting – San Jose, CA.
Solutions to Patient-Supplied Medical Equipment – 2007 AAMI Annual Meeting – Boston, MA.
Physiologic Alarms: Techniques for Standardizing Alarms in Your Institution – 2006 AAMI Annual Meeting – Washington, DC.
Telemetry Monitoring and Patient Safety – 2005 AAMI Annual Meeting – Tampa, FL.
Clinical Alarms Management: JCAHO Initiatives Update and Remote Alarms – 2004 AAMI Annual Meeting – Boston, MA.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: 60
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Clinical Engineering, Medical Devices, Patient Safety
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 65
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 35
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 12
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2/8/2018
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 2
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 1
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 4.5
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: consulting, testing, reports, testimony
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $300
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $400
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $400
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: travel expenses, out of pocket expenses
Friedman | Rubin
Luvera Law Firm
Stephen Haskell Law Offices, PLLC
222 North Wall, Suite 402
Spokane, WA 99201