Adrian Adams, JD, MBA is an expert on standards of care for boards of directors and managers of community associations, and has testified on water intrusion issues, mold remediation, rules enforcement, CC&R drafting and interpretation, maintenance responsibilities, architectural issues, fiduciary duties, common and exclusive use common areas, etc. Mr. Adams lectures extensively on these subjects and is the creator of www.davis-stirling.com, the largest research website on condominium law in California. His past and present affiliations include: the Foundation for Calif Community Association Education (FCCAE), Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM), Community Associations Institute (CAI), California Association of Community Managers (CACM), California Legislative Action Committee (CLAC), Educational Community for Homeowners (ECHO), and Foundation for Community Association Research (FCAR).
Areas of Expertise
- Property Management
- Q: Please list your professional accreditations, degrees, licenses, and certificates granted:
- A: • Juris Doctor, Southwestern Law School, Los Angeles, CA
• Masters in Business Administration (MBA), UCLA
• Bachelor of Arts, with great distinction in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Biology, San Jose State University, four-time University Scholar and member of the Phi Eta Sigma, Psi Chi and Phi Delta Phi academic societies
- Q: Please list your affiliations or memberships in any professional and/or industry organizations:
- A: • Foundation for Calif Community Assn Education (FCCAE)
• Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM)
• Community Associations Institute (CAI)
• California Association of Community Managers (CACM)
• California Legislative Action Committee (CLAC)
• Educational Community for Homeowners (ECHO)
• American Society of Association Executives (ASAE)
• Foundation for Community Association Research (FCAR)
• Former legal advisor on condominium smoke-free housing to the Technical Assistance Legal Center (TALC) for the Public Health Institute
• Served on Board of Directors of the Orange County & Los Angeles chapters of the Community Associations Institute
• Past delegate to Calif. Legislative Action Committee (CLAC)
• Member of the Board of Directors of the Foundation for Community Association Research (FCAR)
• Founding member of the Critical Issues Think Tank of FCAR
• Member of the Research Task Force on Aging Infrastructures
• Founding member of California’s CID Lawyers Organization
• Founder and past President of the Foundation for California Community Association Education (FCCAE)
• Recipient of an AV Preeminent Peer Review designation from Martindale-Hubbell
- Q: Please list any teaching or speaking experience you have had, including subject matter:
- A: • Ten-year instructor on Association Management & Law (UCLA Extension)
• CEB panelist on Common Interest Developments
• Panelist for National Business Institute on Legal Aspects of Homeowner Associations
• Panelist for State Bar’s annual Real Property Retreat
• Speaker and certified instructor for both CAI & CACM
Media Apperances: City Television LeBlanc interview regarding aging in place and Senior Communities; National Public Radio on challenges faced by condominium associations with aging owners.
- Q: Have any of your accreditations ever been investigated, suspended or removed? (if yes, explain)
- A: No.
- Q: On how many occasions have you been retained as an expert?
- A: ~300
- Q: For what area(s) of expertise have you been retained as an expert?
- A: Standards of care for boards of directors and managers of homeowners associations re maintenance, water intrusion, mold, rules enforcement, fiduciary duties, etc.
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the plaintiff?
- A: 10%
- Q: In what percentage of your cases were you retained by the defendant?
- A: 90%
- Q: On how many occasions have you had your deposition taken?
- A: 30 to 40 times
- Q: When was the last time you had your deposition taken?
- A: 2019
- Q: On how many occasions have you been qualified by a court to give expert testimony?
- A: 15 to 20 times
- Q: On how many occasions have you testified as an expert in court or before an arbitrator?
- A: 15 to 20 times
- Q: For how many years have you worked with the legal industry as an expert?
- A: 20 years
- Q: What services do you offer? (E.g.: consulting, testing, reports, site inspections etc.)
- A: Consulting, site inspections, written opinions
- Q: What is your hourly rate to consult with an attorney?
- A: $450
- Q: What is your hourly rate to review documents?
- A: $450
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide deposition testimony?
- A: $550
- Q: What is your hourly rate to provide testimony at trial?
- A: $550
- Q: Please list any fees other than those stated above (E.g.: travel expenses, copy fees, etc.)
- A: Travel expenses.
Available Upon Request